Sunday, February 11, 2007

If it were a hotdog, it would be a footlong!

Warning: Extremely long blog post to follow. You were warned.

I really wish that we had three day weekends. I could get so much more done. The weekend is the only real time I have to focus on the house and it seems to get sucked up by extra activities. Before you know it, it's time to start the week all over again.

Last Friday, I started volunteering in a junior high class for my service learning for school. I've been to this particular junior high previously because my sis-in-law works there and I sat in on a few classes. I remembered it being kind of chaotic in the classes. I mean, it is a junior high after all. I signed up to assist a specific teacher this time and didn't know what to expect. I had been told by many people numerous times that this teacher is really "old school" and one of my fellow students even used the word boring. So, I went on Friday with an open mind. At the end of my volunteer time, I felt that this teacher was a perfect fit for me. I'm not sure what "old school" entails, but this teacher had good cooperation from her students, control over the class, and was well organized. I was really impressed by her. I also was able to help the students many times with their essays. I felt that I was very useful. She even let me critique some of the students' essays. I did more in her class in one day than I did most of my last semester of service learning. I'm really looking forward to going back. I'm only required to do 20 hours of volunteering, but believe I will continue to help after that is completed.

Since taking the GRE, I have been receiving info from different grad schools from various places. I have received a packet from a school for business in Indiana. Heeellloooo!!!! I'm an English major....that marked off that I want to teach secondary ed.....and I live in another state! I considered it for a nanosecond until I realized that it's colder there than it is here and that cinched the rejection. Sorry, after two semesters of accounting, I knew business was not for me. I also received a packet from a school in Virginia that seemed very appealing. It was a school that focused on Shakespeare and his contemporaries. I think the degree was a Masters of Letters and it not only taught Shakespeare by the book (catch the pun?) but also through performance. It is a school that produces Shakespearean professors, drama teachers, playwrights, actors, and directors. They had a picture of the period replica stage that is used for classes as well as performances. I have to say that it really appealed to me, focusing in depth on Shakespeare and acquainting yourself through performance as well as through text. Tempting, very tempting. The drawbacks, however, is the location on the farthest coast from where I live and I'm sure there is a nice price tag attached as well. I can't see myself uprooting my family from job and school, just so I can attend grad school on the other side of the continent. Now, if I was younger and single, I'd probably give it a whirl. I know I would.

This just might end up being my longest post ever because I don't plan to stop soon. Last night, we had the privilege of having dinner at a friend's house. These friends are actually also a couple that H helped to buy a house. They had been in a small townhouse with their four kids for some time. They now have a multi-level that has a lot of space. It was nice to hang out and chat while the kids all played in a whole other part of the house.

Today at church, I found out that a friend is about 3 months pregnant. I was so excited for them because they are some of the best people I know and are really great parents. This baby will make #5 for them. It was very unexpected but they are all now very excited. Her son is rooting for a boy since he is the only son. I told her that we had talked about when to have another kiddo and hadn't decided yet. I still very much want to finish school and do a bit of working first. I just don't know though. I can sometimes feel the pull of motherhood and actually look forward to when I'll be able to do it again.

Good news...I got my first paper back in theory and it had a B- on it. It had been a B+, but was reduced because it was late. I didn't mind considering that he had said he wouldn't take any late papers at all and definitely could have deducted a LOT more. I was just glad that he was nice enough to accept it. I cringe to think of getting my Spanish test back. I seriously just pray that I passed with a decent grade. I don't delude myself into thinking that I aced it or even beed it. (I know, it's not a word. But I thought it fit.)

Bad news...my little brother got laid off because the factory where he is working had to shut down temporarily. There is also word that it is being sold. It sucks because he really enjoyed working there and he was providing for his new little family. I hope he will get back there soon or somewhere as good.

Well, I better sign off for now since the typing is keeping Mister awake. Sorry for the length, but like I always said...I keep this blog more for me than for anyone else. But I'm sure glad you're along for the ride.

No comments: