Wednesday, February 28, 2007

I have hit the proverbial caffeine wall

Those energy drinks truly live up to their name. I was still zooming around until yesterday afternoon after only just under two hours of sleep the night before. I wasn't tired at all. I went to my first class which was canceled due to the snow storm, but the prof was still kind enough to show up to collect our papers. At least he postponed the quiz. I then met with Mody to have a hot chocolate at the library cafe since we had time to kill and I wanted to show her my new hairdo. Oh, I neglected to tell you all that...wait for it. I then went to my second class which was sparsely attended. We briefly met with the prof to review our presentation ideas. Then we were free to leave. I am very thankful for our city light rail train. Traffic was horrible in the storm but the trains were running smooth and on time. I then went with H to Barnes and Noble. It is my fav place. I only shop the bargain aisles, being the thrifter that I am, and came away with three books that came out to $25. I came home, watched Monday's episode of Heroes, picked up the kids, and made sure they did their homework.


After that, I was DRAGGING. I called Mody about doing a Heroes marathon on Saturday since she has missed about 5 episodes and then laid down. This was at about 4:30. Well, I didn't get back up until 7 am this morning. And I was still dragging and could have slept in a lot longer. I feel wiped right now. I guess it's what they say, "What goes up must come down." There had to be a downside to those drinks. No wonder they're addictive. It's like how the quickest cure for a hangover is to drink more. Anyway.


Hair: Every 6 months or so, I get bored with my look. I can't afford a new wardrobe or a long trip, so I usually do something to my hair. I don't go completely crazy with bleach and scissors. But I do something very noticeable. I only chop it off about every ten years, so don't worry, I didn't. I wanted color. My hair is a very dark brown and coloring is limited. I can either go with red or a certain level of blond (which comes out a light brown). If I stray too far, it comes out orange or green. A girl in Spanish class has black hair (not natural) and she had big streaks of bright red put in. Apparently, they have to bleach the hair first to attain this level of color. This was a measure I wasn't willing to take. So, we chose a bright red copper and put it in the middle layer of my hair so it peeks out. It's definitely noticeable, and I really like it. So did the kids. I have it peeking through a lot in this pic.

Being red, it will blend in as it fades. But I'm definitely going to have some fun with it.

Barnes and Noble: I walked away with three books. First, I got "Letters to a Young Artist" by Julia Cameron. I made the mistake of thinking this was a different book I had wanted to read "Letters to a Young Poet" by Rilke. I didn't realize my error until I was almost home. I will still read it and then probably pass it on to someone else. The second is "Rival Crock Pot: Slow Cooker Recipes". It has recipes for each meat and also vegetarian meals that you cook in your crock pot. The recipes looked yum and simple. Can't wait to try one.

The third book I got will probably null and void any use of the second book though. It is "The Perricone Promise: Look Younger, Live Longer in Three Easy Steps". I know, you're asking, "Why are you buying some empy promise of a book?" Well, I didn't buy it on a whim. I have seen this doctor on Oprah and some examples of his work. And what he says about the food we eat is proven science. I am just hesitant to give up some of the "bad" foods, like a LOT of chocolate in one sitting and soda. But it has also not escaped me the toll that they are taking on my body. I want to feel better, fit better in my clothes, and have more energy, and yes, live longer. He promises noticeable results in three days and great results in 28 days. Unfortunately, the Oprah website doesn't have the before and after pics of that show on their website anymore. If I come across any, I'll post them.

Since I listed my blog on a couple of blog lists, I have seen the number of viewers jump dramatically. I want to say welcome to all you reading and invite you to drop a line or two. And if there is any subject, website, or idea you'd like my two cents on, pass it along.

Well, my eyes are drooping and I'm fighting the urge to get another energy drink. Think I will consume a chocolate bar and do my homework. I'll leave you with a few lines of Maya Angelou that I am using for my presentation.

Pretty women wonder where my secret lies.
I'm not cute or built to fit a fashion model's size
But when I start to tell them,
They think I'm telling lies.
I say,
It's in the reach of my arms
The span of my hips
The stride of my step,
The curl of my lips.
I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.

No comments: