Monday, September 11, 2006

Where were you when the world stopped turning?

I remember when I heard about what happened on 9/11...as does everyone else. We were living in NM and my husband was still in the Air Force. I had just sent my son off for his second day of school and my husband's brother called to tell us that a plane crashed into the World Trade Center. We didn't have television at that time, so we turned on the radio. We listened to the news about it when the second one hit. That's when we knew that it wasn't an accident.

We dropped in on the neighbors and saw some of the images on their tv. The smoke was billowing out of the towers and I couldn't believe what I was seeing. After the Pentagon was hit, the base was put on high alert and the friend that took my son to school said that it took two hours to get back on the base. The base police were searching each car individually. It was like this for a while. The base personnel was also put on alert and told to prepare for anything, even deployment. It was very tense all over base, somber and heavy. I think people were walking around in a numb state for a while. I was nervous because I didn't know if my husband was going to be sent away. I was only 21 and had two little ones. I knew that this was the possibility when I married military. You can't be prepared for it, but you do your best.

No comments: