Friday, September 08, 2006

Baseball in the Fall

Today was my first day of service learning (volunteering) at the ESL class. It was pretty interesting. The first class is a small one where the students (all adults) are learning the basics of speaking and writing English. The second class was much larger and they were learning to read. They had to change a paragraph from present tense to past tense and I was able to answer a lot of questions and give help where needed. I'm going to be trying to go three days a week for an hour a day. I will finish my 20 required hours in about 6-7 weeks. Chances are good that I may continue to volunteer after that though.

School is going well. I think this is the first semester that I have really enjoyed all of my classes. Theory can be a snoozer, but has its moments of interest. I do know, however, that I have no interest to pursue a career, let alone anymore classes, in the field of theory.


My son has decided to no longer take his acting class. He felt that it was taking up too much of his time and I don't think he enjoyed it enough to stick to the time commitment. I suggested taht maybe he would like to check out a theater acting class as opposed to the film acting that he was doing. He seems more interested in that and we may check out a class soon. I want to be a parent that opens up such opportunities to try out and see what they might take an interest in. I had to make sure that he was quitting the class for a real reason that he had given some thought to and not just because he didn't want to go that day. I think my kids will be more well-rounded and willing to try new things if I create these opportunities and chances for them. They will be starting soccer next week and my husband will be coaching one of the teams. This should be interesting since neither of them have ever played soccer and I'm not very knowledgeable about it myself. My son has played baseball before. Speaking of, I will be playing intramural softball this semester. I figured that I needed something to keep me physically active since I haven't been to the gym in ages...I also really like baseball.

BIG NEWS! I have a friend, Hobby, that was planning to attend grad school in England in less than a month and has changed her plans. After much prayer and thought, she has decided to not move across the big pond alone for a year. I'm sad and happy. Happy cause I would miss her like crazy and sad cause she now feels directionless. I keep telling her that something is in the works and there is a path already laid out that she just needs to be patient enough to find in time. I know how she feels though. Riding on only faith and hope can be hard and scary. I love her and she will do well in anything she does.

BIGGER NEWS! Nope, can't really be specific. But it involves a close friend and the sound of bells surrounded by white?! Any ideas!?

Well, better go for now...got a softball meeting.

No comments: