Tuesday, April 15, 2008

On this day in history...

I was born 28 years ago today. And no, I have no qualms about admitting my age...I mean, heck, there's still a 2 in the front of it. Yes, I was born on tax day. At least my parents never forgot it. I was also born on my sister's 13th birthday. She said I was the present she couldn't get rid of. But since I love her so much, I'll let you do the math on your own to find out how old she is.

So, what do I have to show for the 28 years I've been on this earth? Nobby asked me last year on my birthday what I had learned since the previous year. And I couldn't really think of much on the spot. I guess it's because when you're living life and keeping busy, sometimes you don't stop and reflect as often as you should. Well, here's some of what I can reflect on now.

  • I am healthy and happy in my life. I overcame some pretty serious health problems as a baby and am healthier now than many people. This is a real blessing.
  • I have been blessed with some of the best friends, from childhood through today. I remember Niki from 1st grade, Brandy and Mike in junior high, Kim in Texas, Rosa in Alamo, Jen through it all, many ladies from church, and my LonDolls. You all make life rich.
  • I have been blessed with an amazing family. I have parents that support me through everything, their only reward sometimes was seeing me happy. They guided me through my first parenting experiences, helping me make decisions that would later bless my life. I have siblings that are so varied, interesting, and are good people. Aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents...through good times and bad, through frustration and smiles....we have always loved each other.
  • I have had some great educational opportunities. I finished high school thanks to my parents and their love for me and Mister. I was not only encouraged, but expected, to go to college. Looking back now, that was so smart of my parents because I never worried about if I could do it. I knew I could and would. Through the unfailing support of H, I am not only able to continue that vision of education, but I was also able to fulfill a dream of travelling to London that even I didn't realize would mean so much to me.
  • I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ. To know that I am a daughter of God has been the most important knowledge I have attained. He loves me and wants me and my family to do well. Unlike many times previously, I now know that the difficult times are not there to bring me down, but to lift me up and help me to prove, even to myself, that I can do it, that I have more in me than I think. He knows me best and he knows what's best for me.
  • H. When I met him, I thought that he was the best person I had ever met. He earnestly seeks ways to help others and is always willing to lend his hand, time, and ear. He is humble, patient, loving, and so full of the gifts and Spirit of God. He has put up with me when I was stubborn, patient when I was rebellious, and firm when he knew I was wrong, but also kind enough to not directly point at my mistake. He is a considerate companion and a loving, concerned father. Sure, he has faults, but they are always outweighed by every other aspect of him. I was only 19 when we married and it definitely has not been an easy ride over the years. But each year has been better than the last, and the last few have been pretty good. I am really blessed to have him as my friend and companion.
  • My children. I started motherhood pretty young and ill-prepared. However, I was blessed with understanding parents and a strong support system. Mister was always surrounded with love and care, even when his mom was still trying to grow up herself. After H and I married, we knew that there was another little one waiting to join us. So, 10 months later, Tiny was born. Mister and Tiny have been inseparable since. Two young ones was tough for a newly married 19-year-old. But they always made me smile and were eager to give love when they saw I needed it. They are happy, healthy kids that get along 95% of the time, which I think is a sibling record. They know they are loved and seem to be quite comfortable in who they are. What more can a mom hope for? And now, we're expecting another healthy boy. He is energetic and I already love him so much. Mister and Tiny are eagerly anticipating meeting him and H is a mixture of thankfulness and worry. Me too.

I would say that I have been pretty blessed in my 28 years on the earth. Sure, things can be tough sometimes. Sometimes money is tight, depression rears its ugly head once in a while, math homework can be frustrating, the roof leaks, and cars break down at inconvenient times. But all of these things are temporary and miniscule in the grand panorama of life. Family, friends, health...those are things that I am thankful for. Oh, and the privilege of growing older.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy, happy birthday Birdy dear!

Jennifer said...

So many blessings! I'm so glad God brought us back together like He did. I'll never forget your call that day years back. How awesome!