Monday, April 14, 2008

Blue, for the boys I love

Nobby has set the date for my baby shower to be on the 26th. We will also be having Hobby's bachelorette party that night. So, it will be a fun-filled LonDolls day. My shower will be at 4 p.m. and Hobby's party is at 7 p.m. It will be a festive day for all. I'm really excited. I know Hobby will be a beautiful bride, if she doesn't pull all her hair out first from the wedding planning, school finals, and work. I am also looking forward to getting cute things for my new little guy.

Having a boy, I've been remembering when Mister was a baby lately. He was such a cute one, not that I was biased or anything. He had a full head of dark hair and was BIG. Looking back, it seems a bit surreal because I was so young and clueless. But I had a lot of help from my family. And Mister and I always had each other. I remember one night when Mister wasn't even two yet, after I got home from school and work. He was really tired and cranky, but he didn't want to go to bed and I was getting frustrated. So, I picked him up, put him in the car, and we went for a drive. We stopped and got a treat at the gas station and drove up into the foothills to a spot where you can see the whole city. It was dark and the city lights were the only thing lighting up the valley. We sat on the hood of the car, ate our snack and chatted (well, as much as you can with a 2 year old).

I remember thinking that no matter how hard things got, that he was mine, we had each other, and things didn't always have to work perfectly. Bedtime didn't have to be exactly at 8 p.m. Going for a drive was a lot better than fussing over bedtime. And I loved him no matter what. Sure, I was young, single and pretty naive. But I loved him, and he loved me. It didn't seem that much else had to matter.

He's 11 now and growing up faster than I thought. He still has the same tender heart though. So, I would have to say that my track record with my first boy gives me plenty of hope for raising the next.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aww! I'm sure Matthew will bring you the same joys as Mister. So excited for you, hun. Thanks for the call this morning. :)

P.S. I do hope to have all my hair come May 3rd... if not, at least it's all there in my bridal pictures. Hahahaha...

Mody said...

That is such a cute story. You and H have certainly done a great job with Tiny and Mister, seriously, those two are so smart and well behaved but also really funny and sweet and playful too.
You'll probably have a few tough years with them through their teens, but I really think they will come to really respect you more and more as they get older, because come on... you rock man!

Roberta said...

Ah, thanks guys. You rock too.

Jennifer said...

That just makes me want to bawl. You are and have always been such a good momma!