Tuesday, April 08, 2008

The 7th Circle of H*** is in Room 216

OH MY GOSH! I am sooo tired. Days like today reaffirm my decision that I do not want to teach elementary or secondary education. I am just worn out. I have substituted for this 6th grade class before that I worked with today. They are a wild group, probably numbering close to 30 (too many for one class, if you ask me) and they are mostly boys. The first couple of times I subbed for them, I thought I was going to go insane. But, surprisingly, they calmed down more each time I came around and were easier to handle. Not today. One of the teachers said it might be spring fever. I don't know what it is, but they couldn't sit still, stay quiet, or focus for more than 30 seconds today. It's a miracle I didn't lose my voice from just trying to be heard over the chaos.

Don't get me wrong, these aren't bad kids. Getting to know each of them, they are bright and funny people. It's just when you put them in the same room at the same time that they somehow transform into a wild, uncontrollable mob. They want to chat about movies or gross "boy" observations or video games or, basically, anything other than what they should be working on. After recess and lunch, they come back even more riled. When half of them were occupied outside the class, the remaining half were quiet, busy and pleasant. But it would go back to a junior high version of "Animal House" when they returned (without the perversity and food fights, thankfully).

Anyway, I'm tired. I told H that the next time that particular teacher calls for me to sub, the answer will probably be 'no'. At least once. After that, I'll probably go soft again and put the weariness out of my memory and foolishly say 'yes'. But for now, I think I deserve an Italiano pizza from Lofte's and a pitcher of rootbeer.

2 comments:

Something McSomethingkins said...

I love little people! Especially the unruly ones:) When I helped out in my friend Annje's Resource class, those were the predominant types.

So funny, although there were not so many of them. Sorry you had a bad time of it.

Anonymous said...

Well, at least you're not realizing this after you do the elementary/secondary ed Master's, right? (As per your reaffirmation comment, LOL!) Sorry they wore you out so much. Carrying around your little boy doesn't help much either, does it? *Hugs*