Thursday, April 12, 2007

Lest We Forget

I was perusing the blogs I regularly visit when I clicked into Skittle's Place and saw that she had posted the video below. This sparked in me the desire to share with you a little fact about myself. I am very patriotic. Having been a military brat and, later, wife, I feel great honor in our men and women in the armed forces. If it had not been for previous health issues, I, myself, would have proudly served my country. I get emotional when I hear the National Anthem, I get choked up at the mere sight of soldiers saying goodbye to their loved ones, and I cheer louder than most when tribute is being paid to our protectors.

Putting all politics aside (because we each know how we individually feel about the war), we must always try to keep our troops in our thoughts. These young men and women, for whatever reason, decided to represent their country in times of peace and times of war. Men and women have various reasons for pursuing this career. They join for the promise of an education, to acquire a skill, to find direction and discipline, to better themselves or their situation, or just to know that they gave of themselves for their country. In return for their enlistment, they are not promised a large pay, fancy housing, a steady schedule and future, or even a guarantee of staying alive. What other job would people be willing to volunteer for with that kind of exchange? Don't get me wrong, there are perks to the military life. You have full health benefits, shelter, a steady paycheck, and job security (in the sense that you probably won't get a pink slip in your paycheck anytime soon), and let's not forget the sense of profound pride.

Now, I'm not here to preach or promote. I simply wanted to share a glimpse of the military life and to urge you to remember our troops. Some are working hard stateside while others are in unfamiliar places, far away from everyone and everything they know and love, having to do a near-impossible task. Just remember them and offer a prayer their way.

No comments: