Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Baby Update

I finally went to the doctor today and everything seems to be a-ok. I had a full exam and everything looked good. They took bloodwork (ouch) and urine (eww). We were a little unsure about exactly how far along I was, so the doc did a sonogram...and also, as he put it, to just have fun too. He said that it gets the moms excited to see the baby. It sure did. I saw it's little body, head, spine, and arms and legs moving around. Sorry, no chance of the sex yet. Still too early. I couldn't believe how much it's already developed and how big it looked on screen even though it's still small enough that I am not noticeably pregnant yet. It was just amazing to see a little person in there. It made me start to feel more pregnant than any of my symptoms have. It's like I was introduced to this little life that I helped start and am now growing. I felt so proud. I even got a print out pic. I will post it as soon as I can find the charge cord for my camera.

The only down side was when the lab guy told me how much the labwork was going to cost. No insurance kind of sucks. Thankfully, I don't think this labwork thing will be routine.

After my appointment, I picked up the kids and showed them the pic of the baby. They thought it was cool after I deciphered it for them and pointed out the body parts. Tiny wants to be there for the next sonogram when we find out the sex. I will gladly excuse her from school for that. Mister doesn't seem as enthusiastic. I mean, he's happy about the baby and excited about everything. But I just don't think he's too into the details of it all. That's ok. He's a boy and is entitled. I briefly contemplated allowing the kids into the delivery room when Tiny expressed an interest. However, in talking with an associate, I quickly changed my mind when she pointed out that if anything goes wrong, everything could happen quickly and that might be too much for the kids. I completely agree. I would rather not take the chance of them stressing or freaking out. They can enjoy everything after the fact.

I will keep you all updated on the pregnancy excitements. Oh, I'm apparently now 12 weeks along. So, I'm looking forward to feeling the flutterings of my little one sometime in the next month. That always was my favorite part. Not much beats getting to lie down and watch your baby doing gymnastics in your belly. Too cool.

Take care and stay groovy. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww...I'm so happy for you! Being pregnant is such a joy. Minus all of the uncomfortable that goes along with it, don't ya know. :)

My dad had Ryan on the opposite side of the house when Jack was born. I think they BOTH would have passed out had they been there for the birth, lol.

Something McSomethingkins said...

My lil' sis and I watched my oldest sister give birth to her last child (now 2 years old). Her 10 year old daughter was in the room as well, along with my mom, my second oldest sister, and her husband (my oldest sister's, not my second's). In my opinion there were too many people in that room. Apart from things going wrong, things going right is still traumatic. Babies are not cute when they're first born. And the whole process is just gross. Had I known that the drugs would prevent her from swearing and throwing things at people, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have been in that room clutching my lil' sis's arm while we both looked on in horror for the miracle that is my niece to arrive.