Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Two Great Women You Probably Know

Those of us who spent a good amount of our childhood in front of the tv each had a favorite character on a show. I had two characters that I looked up to. I didn't realize that those characters had more than just the power to make me laugh and think, they also had the power to inspire me as a woman and what I believed I could aspire to. The first was Margaret Houlihan. She was the tough-as-nails, excellence-driven major in M*A*S*H that also had a soft center to her.
Like her, I was a military brat that always foresaw a military career for herself. I admired her self-motivation, her ability to lead others even through her own fear, and the tenderness she only shared with a few lucky comrades. She was beautiful, strong, smart, respected, and loved what she did. I really wished these qualities for myself, to know who I am and never let anyone or anything get in the way of becoming the person I hoped to be. I still love to watch the M*A*S*H reruns, especially the ones focusing around her.

The second character I admired was Claire Huxtable on the Cosby Show.

She was a good lawyer, a strong woman, a devoted wife, a mother that always knew what to say and do when it came to her children's happiness, and also a person that loved life. I didn't realize that these two characters probably played a large role in the reasons why I wanted to enter the military and attend law school. Funny.

No comments: