Monday, January 05, 2009


I am so glad to be home. You wouldn't believe the weather and traffic we had to fight through on the way home. Usually, the trip from my parent's house to ours is a 14-hour drive. Well, it took us 14 hours to drive half the total distance. The snow wasn't so bad, but the road was a sheet of ice and the traffic was backed up for miles in some spots. We actually took a service road to get around the stalled traffic. There were a few accidents along the way and I'm thankful that we were safe.

We stopped at midnight last night to stay at a hotel and then got underway again this morning. Little did we know, we were only a little ahead of another big snowstorm. We stopped off at H's dad's house to visit and ate a bit before heading home, normally a 40-minute drive that took 2 hours. The storm had caught up with us. But, we made it home, safe and whole. The kids tore into some gifts that were waiting for them, played with their new things, ate some dinner, and headed to bed. They have school in the morning.

Little Man tolerated the trip pretty well. But I'm sure he won't want to see the inside of the car for a while. He won't sit in his carseat without fussing right now. The change from warm to cold weather on the trip seems to have caused him a slight fever. He was a little grumpy and generally feeling a bit yucky. But, hopefully, the tylenol will help and he'll be good to go soon. He is almost 6 months old and this was his first big trip. He seems to share his daddy's sentiments on travel; the shorter, the better.

I missed my house more than I thought. Right now, it looks like the van upchucked all our luggage into the livingroom. But I hope to get it all sorted soon. Thus will begin my "weeding" of the house. Since we are so behind on our mortgage, it will come down to either selling or foreclosure. We have the house listed in hopes of short-selling it before the mortgage company comes calling. So, either way, we'll likely be moving within the next couple of months. I am going to start "weeding" through our belongings in order to minimize what we will be needing to move to the next place.

On that note...H is still working at the ski resort. He is getting a lot of exercise and has lost 20 lbs. in the last month. He is also eating really well. He looks really good. You can see the difference in his face and his "glow". He looks healthier. I mistakenly weighed myself today and was dismayed to find that I did, indeed, gain weight on our vacation. I am now 25 lbs. heavier than I want to be. I am making a goal to lose this weight. I am not going to obsess or worry excessively about a time table. I have found that while I am breastfeeding, I am content that I have some extra weight that is helping to meet Little Man's needs. But I would like to be healthier and I am going to slowly start to work toward my goal. I already have an exercise regimen that I can start up again and, with the holidays over, I will be able to avoid some of those food temptations that I fall victim to. I will post on my progress as I make it.

Well, I better get some things in order for tomorrow and get some sleep. I don't think Little Man will sleep through the night while he's still getting reacquainted with his surroundings. Hope you are all safe and well too and enjoying those last few bits of holiday treats.


Heidi said...

I'm glad you're back safe and sound.

I'm in the process of weeding myself. We're moving at the end of the month, so there are boxes everywhere. It is mayhem, but at least stuff is getting packed.

I hope it all works out well for you. Hopefully the house sells before the mortgage company gets its way. I think you're handling it all very well. :)

Bryan and Whitney said...

So glad you're back home; the weather has been scary and I'm glad you're salvo y sano. I hope we can see you soon. I dropped my modeling gig, so we'll be down there a lot, I think. :)