Thursday, April 15, 2010

Flying High

H's reserve unit celebrated it's official activation with a semi-formal banquet last week. It's the first formal function we've attended since he joined the reserves. And since we rarely get to to dress up and get out of the house sans kiddos, we really did it up. H bought a new suit, which he was really needing anyway since the last suit doesn't fit so well since he's lost 60 lbs. I also bought a gorgeous dress that I loved the minute I tried it on. On this rare occasion, I also got a mani, pedi, and wore more eye make-up than usual. What can I say...I'm a no-frills kinda gal most days. But, oh, I sure enjoyed the pampering.

The banquet was full of good food, GREAT cake (from Linda's cakes), and speakers that shared and honored the history of the 44th group. The 301st Fighter Group are also under the 44th, and the original 301st group were the Tuskegee Airmen. THE Tuskegee Airmen. And there were four of the original airmen at the banquet. It was an honor to be in the same room with these men. It was amazing. I HAD to get some pictures with them. Also present were some of the original 44th Bomb Group. Each of the veterans were honored with a statuette of a fighter plane. One woman received the statuette for her late husband and she said, "He was always on time and on target. And he never made a mistake...just look at me." She was awesome and so appreciative. The keynote speaker was a vet who is now a lawyer that fights for veterans that were never honored with medals for valiant service and actions. He has been instrumental in making sure that these veterans receive the medals and honor they are due. One veteran received his medal during the activation ceremonies that day after over 60 years of waiting for it. It was awesome. Being in that banquet with all those that have served and are serving made me so proud. And it makes me want to be a part of it even more. So, remember all those that make your freedom possible and say a prayer for them. And if you see a service member, thank them for their service, without hesitation.

No comments: