Monday, October 15, 2007

Posters and Pumpkins

If there was ever any doubts about me being a mom, they can now officially be laid to rest. It is 2:34 a.m. and I just finished a poster for my daughter that she forgot to do all weekend. She finally did remember at about 10:00 p.m. on her way to bed. I'm also to blame. She is only 7, after all. I am the one that let the teacher know it would be ready on Monday. Now, I'm not the kind of person that will completely bail out my kid when they have had plenty of time to do their homework/project/poster and only remember the night before (though I probably would stay up all night sewing a costume...wait, I have done that before). Anyway, I usually lecture them on the importance of remembering and doing these things on time (while I would remember a paper I had due the next morning) and then request from their teacher more time for them to complete it. But this time, I felt mostly responsible for the blunder. I also know how important it is to my daughter to be prepared and to do well in school. She tries really hard in all her work and I figured she deserved my larger-than-usual dose of help on this one. I think I'm getting soft. Next thing you know, I'll be building a volcano, sewing a costume and proofreading a paper at 3 a.m. Now I remember why I became addicted to those energy drinks.

The finished product: A Show-and-Teach about Chocolate Labradors
Much earlier in the evening, here is what else we did...

This was the first year that the kids actually de-gutted the pumpkin by themselves. Mister actually prepped and carved his pumpkin also by himself, the one on the right. Tiny needed some help, but she did very well on her own too. Nothing like carving pumpkins to get you in the mood for fall.

2 comments:

Andrea Frazer said...

How do you keep the pumpkins from not getting yukky? Mine spoil always in two days! Nice job.

Roberta said...

To keep the carved part from rotting up, you can coat the sides of the openings with vaseline. Also, they will last if they are kept cold. So, if you want, you can put them in the fridge overnight, but it's usually cold out at night here.